Fact Fluency Volunteer Position Description 2013-2014
More than 40% of Minnesota eighth graders are not proficient in math. In a world increasingly dependent on understanding math and science concepts, these students are facing a big challenge. MINNESOTA MATH CORPS IS A STATEWIDE INITIATIVE TO HELP STUDENTS BECOME PROFICIENT IN ALGEBRA BY THE END OF EIGHTH GRADE.
POSITIONS: Fact Fluency Volunteer
* Work with youth on fact fluency interventions (multiplication and division facts) one to one or in a small group
* Implement math related activities as assigned by Math Enrichment Members
* Help motivate students to improve their math skillls, self-esteem and goal attainment
* Make math and learning a fun experience
* Provide the Math Enrichment Members with timely notifications of any absences when possible
* Abide by the student confidentiality agreement, volunteer guidelines and school guidelines
* Attend any necessary event orientations or trainings
* Arrive on time and prepared for events
* Complete Volunteer surveys when requested by Math Enrichment Members
Fact Fluency Volunteers typically commit to at least 1 hour per week for a minimum of 3 months
Training is provided by Math Enrichment Tutors prior to participating in certain activities.
* Responsible, dependable, patient, flexible and motivated
* Ability to maintain confidentiality
* Positive Role Model
* Basic knowledge of multiplication and division facts
* Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations
* Certain opportunities may require the successful completion of a background check
* Make an impact on the lives of youth
* Learn more about the importance of math skills for youth
* Work with youth to help them become more proficient in the fundamentals of math
CONFIDENTIALITY: Any identifying information about a specific student is considered confidential and not to b shared outside of your volunteer experience.
LOCATION: Minnesota Math Corps volunteer opportunities are available in elementary and middle school settings statewide.